Pumpkin spice lattes may get all the press this time of year, but pumpkins are also a major ingredient in Mexican recipes for Dia de Los Muertos / Day of the Dead. These pumpkin dishes may be either savory and sweet, and can be almost any part of the menu. If you are looking for some pumpkin flavor for Dia de Los Muertos (though of course you don’t have to stop at pumpkin), here are some great options:
- Atole de calabaza (pumpkin corn drink)
- For a hearty main dish, Pollo en Pipián Verde (Chicken with Pumpkin Seed-Tomatillo Sauce)
- Calabaza en tacha (candied pumpkin) One of the most traditional Dia de Los Muertos dishes
- For something less traditional, pumpkin churros!
- Finally, for a little snack, spicy pepitas (candied pumpkin seeds)